"How do I let HMRC know I've stopped being an employer?"
When you've stopped being an employer, HMRC needs to know that it's your final EPS submission and that you won't be paying any more payroll.
To tell HMRC that you've stopped being an employer:
- First, select the pay batch on: MenuPay batches
- Then tap: FormsEPS monthly
- Once the EPS monthly is open, check: "Stop being an employer"
- Then tap: Stop being an employer
- The EPS is now temporarily hidden, and you'll be taken to the "Stop being an employer" page.
- Pick the date you expect to pay payroll for the last time, and tap: Save
- You may still have employees who haven't had their employment ended. If so, you'll now be taken through a number of steps to end their employment.
- The steps include sending all your current employees their final paystubs and P45s.
- As soon as the final paystubs are paid, you'll see the pay batch automatically get marked as: "stopped employment"
- And when you tap back to the main page, you'll see the "Date stopped being an employer" has been saved.
- Next, when you tap See "EPS monthly" and scroll down, you'll see that "Stop being an employer" is now checked automatically, with the "stopped employment" date you entered.
- And finally, if you're all ready to send it to HMRC, tap: File with HMRC (at the bottom)
Keep in mind that:
- Any time that you want to become an employer again, all you need to do is to start paying paystubs again.
- As soon as HMRC receives a submission of paystubs from you, HMRC automatically marks you as an active employer again.
- Until that time comes, you can remain dormant, as an employer, for as long as you want.
For advanced usage:
- If you ever want to remove the pay batch from the list, you can always delete it. You can find "Delete" in the "More" menu.
- If you later need it back, you can then undelete it from the: "Deleted bin"
- All your data, like paydays, and payments made are still stored.
And that's it! That's everything you need to know about stopping being an employer!
Was this page helpful?