"How can I get my letter or doc sent?"
HR Docs includes the feature of having the emailing of your letter or doc handled for you.
This is useful when:
- You're sending the same doc over and over, for example each time an employee joins your company.
- It's also useful when you what to keep a history record of every doc that's ever been sent to an employee.
One way to turn on having emailing handled for you is to set your doc as a "Reusable, no response required" doc. This lets you later re-send your doc to other people all you like.
To set your letter or doc as "Reusable, no response required":
- Open the bottom menu , and click: "Change type"
- Then choose: "Reusable, no response required"
- And finally, click: Save
Now, in the Docs ... org's menu, you'll see your new doc, all ready to be sent to other people all you like.
To send this new doc to a person:
- Click: Open
- Choose a person.
- Then click the Send this to... button at the bottom.
- And finally, click: Yes ... send this
- Once it's sent, you'll see the "Doc sent!" confirmation.
For how to see this doc in the person's "Docs history", watch our video about Docs history
And that's it! That's how to have a doc emailed for you!
"How do I decide which people are allowed to send my letter or doc?"
Whenever you make a new doc, by default, it can only be opened and sent by you. Sometimes you may want your doc to be opened and sent by others, for example, when you're off sick. To let other's open and send your doc, you'll need to change its "Show to" setting.
To change your doc's "Show to" setting:
- Click: Edit
- In the panel that slides out on the right, at the bottom, you'll see the "Show to" setting.
- By default, it's set to "Me only". This means you're the only person who can open and send your doc. For now, no one else has any way of even knowing it's there.
- Your options of who can open your doc includes "Me only", "Payroll admins", "All admins, managers, and supervisors", and "Everyone".
- In this example, let's change it to "Payroll admins".
- And finally, click: Save
- Now, all the other payroll admins in your company will be able to open and send your doc.
Once we go back to the Docs ... org's menu, you'll see that this doc now shows to everyone in your company.
And that's it! That's all you need to know about choosing which people are allowed to send your letter or doc!
"How do I download my letter or doc as a PDF and print it?"
To download your letter or doc as a PDF click the Download PDF button. You can also find the Download PDF button in the bottom menu here.
Once you click Download PDF, your doc will start generating, including putting your company letterhead on the right side.
After a few seconds you'll see your downloaded PDF, like this.
To print your downloaded PDF:
- First click the newly downloaded PDF to open it.
- Then click the print button at the top right.
And that's it! That's how to download a letter or doc as a PDF and print it!
"How do I format the contents of my letter or doc?"
You can format the contents of your doc by clicking these buttons in the toolbar.
To add headings:
- First click the line you want to be a heading.
- Then click the heading button H
- Clicking the heading button more than once makes the heading smaller or bigger.
To add lists:
- First select the text you want to be a list.
- Then click the bullet button
To make text go bold:
- First select the text you want to go bold.
- Then click the bold button B
To learn more about using markdown to style your docs, click this question mark button: This'll take you through an easy ten minute tutorial.
For advanced users, this button lets you add inserts into your doc. To learn more about how inserts work, watch our video on Using inserts.
And that's it! That's how to format the contents of your letter or doc!
"How do I make a new letter or doc?"
Making a letter or doc, lets you download or print a nicely formatted PDF of whatever you type.
To make a new doc:
- First, click your way to: Menu > Docs ... all > New doc
- In this example we'll click: "New doc"
- Once the panel slides out on the right, you can set the "Subject" and contents of your doc to whatever you like.
- In this example we'll just paste in the contents that we've previously typed out.
- As you make changes, you'll see a preview of your changes show instantly on the right.
To download the doc as a PDF:
- Simply click the "Download PDF" button at the bottom.
- It'll take a few seconds while it generates a PDF that includes your company's letterhead on the side of the first page.
- Once it's downloaded, click the PDF to see it.
Here you can see your org's logo on the side. To change your logo, or other letterhead details, watch our video on Creating a new org.
And that's it! That's all you need to do to make a new letter or doc!
"What's the difference between a letter and a doc?"
Here's how the letter and doc options are different:
The "New letter" option:
- Adds the address, date, subject, and greeting to the top of the page.
- It also adds the senders signature to the bottom of the page.
- If you need something that looks like a letter you'd send in the post, choose "New letter" when asked.
- As a bonus, when printed, the "To" address is perfectly positioned for windowed envelopes when posting in the mail.
The "New doc" option:
- Doesn't add any extra formatting to the top or bottom of the page. Instead, it gives you a large blank area to work with.
- If you're writing a document, like a memo, proposal, or policy, choose "New doc" when asked.
Both the "New letter" and "New doc" options show your letterhead on the right side of the first page.
And that's it! That's the difference between a letter and a doc!