"How do I set a person's National Insurance category letter?"
The National Insurance category letter turns on discounts to the person's National Insurance contributions.
To set a person's National Insurance category letter:
- First, select the person on: MenuPeople
- Then click: TaxTax settings
- Then scroll down to the "National Insurance" heading.
- And click: National Insurance ... category letter
- Currently, HMRC's published about 20 different category letters, each with their own discounts.
- If you're interested, you can read more about each by reading their notes.
- You could also click the links to read more on HMRC's website.
- You'll see some category letters are grayed out (at the bottom), and can't be selected.
- Grayed out category letters aren't available for the person, based on their gender, age, or other info.
- For most people, the letter to select is "A", which has no National Insurance discount.
- And finally, click Save, and you're done.
Keep in mind that:
- If you're ever not sure which letter to select, set it to letter: "A"
- Sometimes, when you look through the list, you may find more than one category letter that matches the person.
- When more than one category letter matches a person, it's up to the employer to pick only one.
And that's it! That's everything you need to know about setting a person's National Insurance category letter!
Was this page helpful?